If you are interested in helping with any of these developments, then please write to Benjamin Berg or drop by on IRC.
Common questionnaire description format
See also Future/LaTeX.
Some people started to work on a description format for questionnaires. Some of the features that you can expect from such a format:
- Versioning information
- Metadata for question layout
- Metadata for data analysis (e.g. hidden variables)
- Translation support
- Automatic survey creation (both online and offline; e.g. SDAPS and limesurvey, but it is not specific to these)
- XML based?
This project is not specific to SDAPS. However a close collaboration is planned so that SDAPS will work with it.
New/Improved LaTeX class
There are some shortcomings in the current LaTeX class (i.e. the layout is not flexible enough). There are some ideas for new features and changes:
- Possibility to create LaTeX code from description file (see above)
- Both horizontal and vertical layout of questions
- Single/Multiple answer question types
- Requires improvements in SDAPS internally
- Single answer exported as one variable; multiple choice as multiple variables
- Use circles for single answer and boxes for multiple choice fields (this is a metaphor that is familiar from computers)
- Specifying variable names for the export (requires core changes)
- A "no answer" choice for range questions
- Standardized question type names. i.e. probably recycle the names from limesurvey.
Python 3 Port
The goal is to port SDAPS to python 3.x in the long run. There are some things that need to happen for this:
- The C module needs to be either ported to the cpython 3 API, or to GLib to use introspection bindings.
- The LibreOffice importer needs to be rewritten using python-uno.
- The OpenCV based package ("convert", import of other image formats and camera image deskewing) requires python 3 bindings to become available.